The word of the day: volunteer
Hey, V-State. This weekend shall be declared the weekend to volunteer.
In case you didn’t know, Valdosta has many places where you can volunteer and lend a helping hand to someone less fortunate. Check out the following list, and see which one catches your eye.
1. Nationally-known Habitat for Humanity has a local affiliate here in in Valdosta. It is called the Valdosta-Lowndes County affiliate, and is devoted to build affordable housing for people in need. Tomorrow, they will be working in the Warehouse. For more information, call 229-245-1330, ext. 27 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also visit their website, valdostahabitat.org, to learn more about this community-service based ministry.
2. Dedicated to end hunger in South Georgia, Second Harvest has food banks in Valdosta, Albany, Thomasville and Douglas, 38 Kids Café’ sites, a Manna Truck and a Community Kitchen Program. They even have a Teachers’ Harvest where they provide school supplies to local teachers. To volunteer here, email email@example.com or call 229-244-FOOD (3663).
3. For those of you with a soft spot in your heart for dogs or cats, BARC Humane Society is a local animal rescue group that dedicates itself to finding a “forever” home for homeless dogs and cats. Every Saturday, and recently Sunday, members of BARC position themselves in front of Petsmart, located next to the Valdosta Mall off of Northside Dr., with their homeless dogs and cats in an attempt to get people to adopt them. This is just part of their commitment. To find out more, visit barchumanesociety.org. The volunteer packet is located under the volunteer tab on the site.
4. Maybe animals aren’t your cup of tea. That’s okay, because you can always volunteer at The Haven. This organization has committed itself to provide for battered women and children a place where they can get the proper resources, support and information that it takes to get out of a troubling situation and into a brand new, successful life. To read more about The Haven, go to valdostahaven.org. To volunteer, call 229-244-6142 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
5. Located on 320 Smithland Pl., The Salvation Army Georgia has volunteer opportunities such as packing food boxes, Disaster Response, Help with Angel Tree and much more. The Salvation Army stems from the universal Christian church, and strives to meet human needs in God’s name without discrimination, according to their website. For more information, go to salvationarmy-georgia.org. To volunteer, call 229-242-6440.
Well, VSU, that’s all for today. One of these had to have caught your attention, and make you think about helping a struggling person or animal. As always, check back next Friday for more Top Weekend Picks.
This Web Exclusive is brought to you by Features Editor Amanda Usher.