Home / Columns / Daily Strange: Edible Water Bottles

Daily Strange: Edible Water Bottles

Written By: Ivey Ingalls-Rubin, Staff Writer

Untitled

The world is full of excess plastic waste, but with a simple culinary technique called spherification, this may all change. This process creates liquid with a soft membrane you may also eat!

A design student, Rodgrigo Garcia Gonzalez, made a name for himself with his latest idea—the “Ooho” which is a “water bottle” that you can eat. It seems quite simple on the surface, however it aims at abolishing one of the world’s more troubling environmental threats—plastic pollution.

In an ideal society, the Ooho would replace the amount of 500 billion plastic bottles that Americans consume each year. At the last count this trapped about 1.5 billion barrels of crude oil annually into the manufacture of these plastic bottles.

After these bottles have their single use purpose filled, they are thrown away. Often, the containers end up polluting our ocean. Forty-six thousand pieces of plastic trash are floating for every square mile, according to a report by the UN.

Gonzalez and his team envisioned and created a way around all of these environmentally damaging consumption habits.

The Ooho, a gelatinous blob, is by all means a membrane that encapsulates water; much like a bladder. Whenever you find yourself thirsty, all you need to do is pop an Ohoo into your mouth, chomp down and have a burst of hydration.

To learn more about the edible water bottle please visit HERE

Or visit HERE to check out a experimental commercial for a closer look.

VSU Opera presents “Opera After Dark: Vibrant Voices”

On April 4, VSU’s Department of Music hosted its Opera After Dark show “Vibrant Voices,” ...

One comment

1. It is our responsibility to contribute towards a healthy environment and avoid buying a bottle of water from outside if we can. Great article. Thanks for sharing the useful info.