Home / Campus Life / Munch on Menchie’s: Menchies freezes Valdosta’s taste buds, variety of sweets for perfect froyo toppings

Munch on Menchie’s: Menchies freezes Valdosta’s taste buds, variety of sweets for perfect froyo toppings

Menchies opened up in Sept. of this year at the Valdosta mall. To promote their business, they gave out free frozen yogurt at VSU's The Happening with flavors like red velvet cake.

Written by Tiarra Bell, Staff Writer

Valdosta welcomed a new business that is offering a sweet, cool way to beat the South Georgia heat with a mission to “make you smile.”

Menchie’s Frozen Yogurt opened in early September at the Valdosta Mall. It offers a weekly rotation of fourteen low fat or nonfat yogurts and sorbets at their self-serving station.

There are over 20 dry toppings that range from rainbow sprinkles to your favorite chocolate candy such as Kit Kat or M&M’s. If dry toppings don’t suite your preference, there is a chill bar with other toppings that include fruit that is cut fresh daily and whip cream.

To keep the smiles going, Menchie’s yogurt is featuring three fall flavors throughout the month of October.

The “Cinnabon’s Classic Cinnamon Roll” frozen yogurt has all of the flavor that a classic cinnamon roll brings—cinnamon spices topped with cream cheese—but in a much cooler form. Also back by popular demand, “Harvest Pumpkin” seeks to satisfy the sweet tooth of pumpkin fans everywhere. Lastly, there is the “Honey Graham Crumble” flavor.

Among these three flavors, the Classic Cinnabon flavor is most craved by customers this fall.

Taylor Hobbs, a senior at Valdosta State University, enjoys rewarding her taste buds as she makes daily trips to Menchie’s on her days off from school.

“The first time I came here [Menchie’s Frozen Yogurt], I was hooked. My favorite right now is tied between the Classic Cinnamon Roll and the Jumpin’ Java Latte, but I would probably pick the Cinnamon Roll flavor,” Hobbs said. “There’s great customer service, and I like the fact they’re affordable.”

Menchie’s Frozen Yogurt prices are inexpensive and student friendly. The new fro-yo spot has discounts for high school and college students. Plus, the Wi-Fi in the shop is open for everyone.

Menchie’s prices are based on a weight scale. For every ounce, it is 53 cents plus tax which makes a full cup of frozen yogurt between four and six dollars. But before you plan to purchase a 16 ounce cup or a pre-packed 32 ounce tub, Menchie’s allows their customers to sample each flavor.

For the month of October, Menchie’s is offering customers a chance to win free frozen yogurt every day. All you have to do is take pictures with the in-store selfie frame and the hashtag #spreadingsmiles on Instagram or Twitter to promote a “United State of Happiness.”

One winner will be chosen every day to receive a $15 gift card, and a grand prize winner will be chosen at the end of October to win free frozen yogurt for a year!

Menchie’s hours of operation:
Mon-Thurs: 10a.m. – 10 p.m.
Fri-Sat: 10 a.m. – 11 p.m.
Sun: 12p.m. – 9 p.m.

Weekly deals they offer:

• Mondays: Half off for mall employees
  • Tuesdays: Kids eat free from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m.
  • Wednesdays: Receive $3 off a waffle cup
  • Thursdays: Throw Back Thursdays; senior citizens get a discount
  • Friday and Saturday: $3 off Fill-Your-Cup from 9:30 p.m. to 11 p.m.
  • Sundays: Date Night, buy one get one free

VSU Opera presents “Opera After Dark: Vibrant Voices”

On April 4, VSU’s Department of Music hosted its Opera After Dark show “Vibrant Voices,” ...