Home / Campus Life / An active scare awaits; Campus Recreation continues decade long tradition

An active scare awaits; Campus Recreation continues decade long tradition

Photo Coutesy: Stella Hendersen/THE SPECTATOR

Written by Jordan Barela, Editor-in-Chief

Campus Recreation is looking to haunt your dreams.

Last night, Campus Recreation started its annual Haunted Trail.

According to Greg Knaus, the Graduate Assistant of Special Events and Student Development, the Haunted Trial has been going on for ten years now.  When it first began, the Haunted Trail was used as a fundraiser to help Campus Recreation’s student workers travel to professional conferences.

With each year, comes new changes, and this year, the Haunted Trail is different.

“This year we are adding multiple different themed areas to give participants a variety of horror scenes,” Knaus said. “Different people are scared by different movies or characters and we are attempting to hit as many themes as we can to hopefully scare everyone with those different phobias or frightening moments.”

One of the biggest scares in store for the VSU populace is a chainsaw wielding, red-haired clown, armed and ready to scare. In fact, the clown is the deadly star of a promo video released from Campus Recreation.

In an interview with the Valdosta Daily Times, Katie Rickard, a team leader at the campus rec center, said that what makes VSU’s haunted trail so unique is the fact that isn’t a haunted house, it is a trail with zip lines and climbing walls that will make the trail an unforgettable experience for attendees.

“We are hoping our efforts will result in a fantastic turnout,” Knaus said. “A planning committee and myself, have worked hard to reach out to all of campus, local grade schools, and even reach out to parts of the community to increase our attendance, via social media, flyer handouts and more.”

The trail is supposed to last about 20 minutes, and it is opened to the general public.

The Haunted Trial will run from Oct. 28 to 31, from 8 to 10 p.m. For more information such as prices, contact Greg Knaus at 229-245-4302.

VPD creates summer program for area young people

The Valdosta Police Department (VPD) has announced a new youth program. Stand Against Youth Violence ...