Home / News / SGA President addresses issues at first meeting

SGA President addresses issues at first meeting

Written by Kyle Dawson, Photo Editor

At the first meeting of the semester on Monday, SGA President David Burdette addressed the senators about some of the problems the organization had last semester as well as some upcoming events and news.

“Last semester was a little rocky,” Burdette said, “I’m excited to be here, and we’re ready to get to work.”

Last semester ended on a sour note with the Nov.30 meeting going into executive early and lasting the entire meeting without much reason behind the session.

Burdette said that Senator Joel Pollack has taken a leave of absence to focus more on his duties with the VSU College Republicans.

Burdette then said that he has been working on a committee to increase student enrollment at VSU as the lone student member and that the enrollment has increased since this time last year due in part to VSU Ambassadors working a call center as well as the new VSYOU campaign.

“The retention task force has done a lot of great work, and the retention rate is increasing,” Burdette said.

Burdette then addressed President Cecil Staton’s task force on diversity and proposed a student body formal to promote diversity in the future.

Senators were then asked to work All-Star Weekend, which is an event sponsored by SGA that includes a cookout at the Palms Quad on Thursday from four to six, a stand-up comedy show in the student union from seven to ten, and a basketball game from six to eight at the complex.

Burdette then addressed new business which included community service and relationships with other student organizations.

He said that SGA must do more community service in order to build their image on campus. He also introduced the idea of organizational tours where SGA partners with other organizations on campus to do events and bring more awareness to SGA and other organizations on campus.

Lastly, Burdette suggested doing a video series to promote SGA transparency. SGA would post a short video on Twitter that profiled members and told of events every week in an effort to get in touch with the student body.

Secretary Jarius Leavy then took to the podium to tell the senators about the importance of attendance at the SGA meetings as well as the importance of committee meetings in the coming semester.

A proposal was then brought forth for “High Heels and Higher Standards,” a banquet involving four organizations on campus. Senators approved to co-sponsor the event with Enactus, Phi Beta Lambda, National Council of Negro Women and Distinguished Women of VSU. SGA will give $450 dollars in order to provide food for the event which will be catered by VSU.

The next meeting will be held on Monday, Jan. 25 at 8 p.m.

SGA and campus police team up for student event

VSU’s Student Government Association (SGA) held a combined event with the campus police department and ...