Home / Uncategorized / Black History Month arrives at VSU

Black History Month arrives at VSU

Photo Illustration: Kayla Stroud/THE SPECTATOR

Written by Jada Dukes, Staff Writer

Black History Month has arrived here at VSU and so has a number of wonderful events for everyone to get involved in.

Student organizations such as Collegiate Women of VSU, Collegiate Men of VSU, Black Student League, NAACP, along with many others are working together to provide the students and faculty with events happening all month long in celebration of Black History Month. The first official event took place on Jan. 31, with the “Harmony of Colors” sidewalk chalk event that took place outside of Odum Library. Different organizations on campus joined together to create a mural on the front steps of Odum in dedication to the month. The second event took place on Feb. 1 on Palms Quad where a kick-off cookout event was held by the members of  Black Student League, the Mu Omicron chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Incorporated, and the Theta Tau chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Incorporated.

There will be events held every day in February in honor of Black History Month, so if by any chance you miss an event, don’t be discouraged.

Here are a few of the big events coming up. On Tuesday, Feb. 9, the Mu Omicron chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Incorporated will be hosting “The State of the Black Man in America” in the Student Union Theater at 7:06 p.m. The event will focus on topics that relate to the current state of the black man in the U.S. There will be many distinguished male figures from VSU who will be speaking as well. On Monday, Feb. 22, Collegiate Men of VSU will be presenting the “Black Lives Matter vs. All Lives Matter” event at 8 p.m. in the Student Union Theater. On Feb. 26, the Office of Social Equity at VSU will be hosting a day trip to the National Center of Human Rights in Atlanta. Buses will depart at 8 a.m. and admission costs $15 per student with breakfast and lunch provided. Lastly, there will be the “Black is She” event on Monday, Feb. 29, hosted by the Collegiate Women of VSU. The event will be held in the Student Union Ballroom C at 6:30 p.m. During this event there will be a panel of women discussing the many different issues faced by black women in today’s society along with celebrating the accomplishments achieved by women of color throughout history.

Black History Month, which was founded by Carter G. Woodson md Jesse E. Mooreland originated in 1926 and was only celebrated one week in February. The Association for the Study of Negro Life and History chose the second week of February to celebrate black history, because the birthdays of President Abraham Lincoln and Historical Figure Fredrick Douglas both fell on that exact week. Over time, Black History week evolved into Black History Month which has been celebrated for years since. Now is a better time than ever to join your fellow students in celebrating the lives of black historical figures as well as learning more about black culture.

Former NFL player visits Valdosta to discuss mental health issues

For many student athletes, managing their mental health can be tougher than playing the sport ...