Home / Campus Life / Women take the stage for ‘V-Monologues’

Women take the stage for ‘V-Monologues’

Photo Illustration: Kayla Stroud/SPECTATOR

Written by Kelsey Dickerson, Staff Writer

This past weekend women gathered on campus to enjoy a show about themselves.

February 25 through the 27, Valdosta State’s Women’s and Gender Studies program put on The Vagina Monologues, written by playwright and women’s activist Eve Ensler, in the student union theater.

The theater was transformed into a more intimate stage with a platform lit by small spotlights, a mic stand with a black feather boa, and a set of smaller lights that read *“CUNT” set on the front of the stage (a campy wink to one of the monologues entitled *“Reclaiming Cunt”). A podium adorned with a giant red “V” was also set off to one side of the stage where a narrator would stand.

The show had viewers laughing and nodding along. The actresses unapologetically spoke out about women’s issues and the taboo that is women’s sexuality in a way that was relatable and funny.

Asia Johnson’s performance of “My Angry Vagina” was among one of the funniest and most relatable of the entire show, while Keishaunda Fountain and Cleo Poole’s rendition of “Six-Year-Old Girl” is a bittersweet monologue that will remind you of a time in life before society’s pressure influenced your thoughts about womanhood.

This isn’t to say the monologues are all funny or light, or are entirely about what makes women angry.  “Not So Happy Fact”, a factoid about genital mutilation, and “My Vagina Was My Village” will remind you of the real struggles women face all over the world every day.

Overall, the monologues were eye-opening, entertaining, and wholly relatable. Thanks to co-directors Beautiful-Summer Spears and Asia Johnson, the entire play stayed relevant to the audience even 10 years after its conception and went off without a hitch.

According to the program, all profits from the show go to the V-Day One Billion Rising Revolution campaign, a global movement started by Ensler to stop violence against women and girls, VSU’s Women’s and Gender Studies’ sexual assault prevention program, and The Haven , a non-profit that provides emergency shelter and services to victims of family violence and sexual assault.

New Looks, Same Goal: Meet Divinity Modeling Troupe

Divinity Modeling Troupe is one of the fastest-growing organizations on campus, with a recent rebrand ...