Home / Fall 2016 / Intramural field gets a facelift

Intramural field gets a facelift

Written by Bryce Ethridge, Staff Writer

VSU has changed a good bit over the summer aesthetically. Among the new additions is the recreation field behind Centennial.

In the recent years, flag football games have had to be postponed due to the field being rained out and too muddy to play on. Now, the entire field is made out of turf and has a whole water filtration system to make sure that the field never gets rained out.

Michael Wilcox said that the reason for getting a new turf field was that last year’s flag football program’s success and the fact that they won the championship garnered new facilities.

He also stated that another factor was that being able to play sports after classes will help students function better in the classroom. Right now, only one of the fields has been turfed, and Wilcox said that more turf may be on the way.

“I know that we’re trying to turf the field by the tennis courts for club sports, so that’s our next big project.” Wilcox said.

As far as renovations, he said that they have a lot going on, including redoing the pool, but they aren’t planning on renovating the other fields that are by Centennial because they don’t generally get rained out, and they are good to be played on.

Another addition to the field are the new bleachers. Fans can probably remember going to flag football games last year, and standing up awkwardly to watch the games. Now fans are able to sit down and enjoy the game without straining their legs.

Wilcox also wanted to stress signing up on IM leagues, to get teams registered for flag football, so that Campus Recreation Center can show that the new rec field was a good investment. By showing that the field was a good investment, and will be able to gain more approvals for more renovations around the area.

Wilcox wants to encourage everyone who wants to play flag football or any other intramural sport to sign up on IM Leagues.

Sharks Sink Lady Blazers Historic Season

The Nova Southeastern Lady Sharks upset the Valdosta State Lady Blazers in the Round of ...