Restaurant Style Cilantro Lime Beans
If you know me, then you know Mexican food is one of my favorite cuisines. The different textures and flavor of the food always takes my taste buds to another level. Though fajitas, burritos and tacos are a few of my favorites, this side item takes the spotlight now and again. Beans with Mexican food is a must have if you want the full experience. Not only can it be delicious and packed with flavor, but it’s also cheap and easy to make. While you can eat the beans by themselves, I decided to include it with my signature shrimp tacos to really make this meal pop.
1 can black beans (rinsed and drained)
1-2 tablespoons cilantro
2 cloves garlic
Half red onion diced
1 teaspoon salt
Half packet of taco seasoning (optional)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a shallow pan and add onions. Sauté the onions until translucent than add chopped garlic. Stir around for 30 more seconds.
- Open can of black beans and add to pan. Now add salt, taco seasoning and cayenne pepper.
- Allow mixture to begin simmering and let cook for 10 minutes. Stirring occasionally.
- If you would like the beans to begin thickening, then leave to simmer for a few more minutes. If you would like them to be not as thick, remove from heat.
- Top beans with lime juice, fresh cilantro and voilà!
Story and Photo by Erin Turner, Staff Writing.
For more Campus Life stories, click here.