Home / Fall 2015 / Slut shaming has gone out of style

Slut shaming has gone out of style

Photo Illustration: Kayla Stroud/THE SPECTATOR

Written by Jordan Barela, Editor-in-Chief

It is 2015, and we as a society still slut-shame.

Slut-shaming is known in popular culture as harsh criticism of a female for her real or presumed sexual conduct; criticism that takes empowerment away from the female body.

In today’s world there is a double standard that everyone knows, but few are brave enough to actually address.

If a man is going around having sex all the time, he is revered as the “man”. An alpha male status attained through claiming numerous females sexually.

If you were to flip the scenario and have the woman be sexually promiscuous, she is viewed as “loose”, “undesirable” and as a slut.

This double standard is all too real.

If you look at either situation, there is no difference other than the gender. So, why glorify one gender and discriminate against the other?

If a female chooses to be sexually active, that is her choice. The same thing goes for a male. There is nothing wrong with a female choosing to be sexually active with her body, just like a male. The only things that would be wrong are not exploring sex safely and interfering with people in committed relationships.

Sex is part of the human experience. Not a way to honor one gender and completely shame the other.

Celebrities like Amber Rose are calling out this double standard. Her “Walk of Shame” video was hilarious and served as an effective commentary to this issue. Along with the video, she is also doing a “Slut Walk” to show the double standard that is slut shaming.

This article is not meant to encourage women to go out and have sex. This is meant to show that if women choose to do so, whether it is with one or multiple people, that they should not be criticized for it.  A woman’s body is her body, and whatever she decides to do, that is her choice.

Respect women that have sex with ten different people; respect women that have sex with only one person.

And on that note, yes, a male wrote this article.

Editorial: Racial slur controversy questions transparency of VSU administration

On Sept. 27, VSU communications professor Dr. Fred Earls stirred up controversy during one of ...

One comment

1. 80% of sexually active people have come in contact with the HPV virus which can cause cervical cancer in women.

Popular culture is glorifying excess drinking and sex – especially geared toward women. So many women are not going to be able to mother children because of HPV – and the odds of catching it are higher the more sexual partners a woman has.

And the HPV vaccine only covers a few of the strains — and not all of the cervical-cancer causing strains. So it’s foolish to glorify ‘woman’s choice’ when their health is at risk.