Home / News / New exercise building to open today

New exercise building to open today

The new Center for Exercise Medicine & Rehabilitation, which offers extensive therapeutic and clinical services to the entire VSU community, will hold its grand opening tonight from 5-7 p.m. in the HSBA building.

Written by John Stephen, Correspondent

A new extension of the Student Health Center will now allow all VSU students and employees access to preventive and therapeutic clinical services previously offered only to university athletes.

The Center for Exercise Medicine & Rehabilitation (CEMR) will host its grand opening ceremony and reception tonight from 5 to 7 p.m. The event will include information on services offered through the CEMR, the opportunity to sign-up for these services, as well as a tour of the facilities. Refreshments will be served, and all members of the VSU community are invited to attend.

The CEMR is part of the College of Nursing and Health Sciences and is housed in the Health Sciences and Business Administration (HSBA) building, a $32 million edifice located on North Campus that was completed in 2014.

“Many individuals seek medical attention due to musculoskeletal injuries/symptoms, and students have historically been referred to services off campus to address rehabilitation needs,” said Sean Hutchison, clinical instructor for VSU’s athletic training program. “As part of the CEMR, certified athletic trainers will evaluate and treat certain musculoskeletal complaints that are within the trainer’s scope of practice.”

Hutchison said the CEMR will also offer individualized and supervised exercise programs for those with chronic conditions such as cardiovascular disease or diabetes.

Costs for the CEMR’s services range from $10 to several hundred, depending on the treatment. $40 monthly memberships for certain services are also available.

The CEMR’s services will be administered by the faculty, staff, and students of VSU’s Athletic Training and Exercise Physiology program. The center’s operations are divided among three offices: the Athletic Training Clinic, offering rehabilitation and injury prevention services, such as pain-free running on anti-gravity treadmills and post-concussion testing; the Fitness and Wellness Center, providing a safe and healthy fitness environment as well as expert supervision and advice on diet and exercise; and the Human Performance Laboratory, which uses modern equipment to assess cardiorespiratory fitness and body composition.

The CEMR will also provide new learning opportunities for students.

“The center will be of help to our exercise physiology and athletic training students who will gain hands-on clinical experience,” VSU President Cecil Staton said. “I am grateful the new center will be able to offer these services and expand clinical experiences for our students.”

According to Dr. Sheri Noviello, dean of the college of nursing and health sciences, planning for the CEMR first began over 10 years ago when the idea for the HSBA was first conceived.

All CEMR services are by appointment only, and some require a physician referral. To schedule an appointment, or to learn more about the CEMR, such as its hours and detailed information on the clinical services offered, call (229) 333-5959 or visit HERE

Spoiler Alert: “Civil War” is At Valdosta Cinema

The movie, “Civil War” has recently been released in theaters. “Civil War” is written and ...

2 comments

1. Great Article; however your link is incorrect/mistyped at the end. Here’s the correct one 🙂

http://www.valdosta.edu/colleges/nursing-and-health-sciences/cemr/welcome.php

Thanks
    Seth