Home / Fall 2016 / Kenny Moore is ready for Saturdays in Valdosta

Kenny Moore is ready for Saturdays in Valdosta

Written by Ray Pack, Staff Writer

From the concession stand to becoming an NFL Draft prospect, Kenny Moore is set to lead the VSU Football Blazers to a playoff berth.

Before Moore’s senior year of high school, he played soccer, basketball and track and field. During the football season, Moore worked in the concession stand with his coach until he decided decision to join the field. He did not play organized football until his senior season at Lowndes High School, where he earned a well deserved scholarship to Valdosta State University.

During his four year campaign, he has improved drastically every year and now has become the esteemed title of captain of the defense. He wants to propel his teammates and himself onto a national stage for the first time since 2012 when the Blazers won the National Championship.

“God keeps me humble,” Kenny Moore, senior defensive back, said,”My family and teammates will support me throughout the season. My teammates and I must motivate each other to win one game at a time on the way to winning a Conference and National Championship for the Blazers.”

Wearing the iconic defensive back number twenty-four, he pays homage to some of the greatest corner backs such as Darrelle Revis, Charles Woodson, Josh Norman and his personal favorite/role model Champ Bailey.

“It’s a popular number in my family,” Moore said. “Not to mention that Champ Bailey was my favorite player growing up. He was in his prime and the number twenty-four symbolizes an important player on any team.”

Kenny was named first team preseason all Gulf South Conference. Just last year he was named first team all-conference, second team all super region and second team USA all american. He is looking to be named first team all American this year. This meant a lot to him as a person and a player of the game.

“Personally, it’s an honor for the GSC to think so highly of me.” Moore said.

He is perceived on the field to be a field general and with a move to safety it will only help him become a better player. It will also give him the versatility to switch between cornerback and safety depending on the defense.

“The move to safety from cornerback is a move I like,” Moore said. “I get to keep everything in front of me and read the offense before the play begins. This gives me more of a chance to make plays for the defense to put our offense in a position to score. I am also returning punts and kickoffs this season. This season will show all of my talents.”

It came as a surprise to some because of his size of only 5’9” and weighing only 185 pounds to be so active on the team. It’s just a roadblock that he’s overcome with his 4.4 40 yard dash and his 41-inch vertical along with his long arms and big hands to stay with defenders.

Moore’s versatility is something that can propel the Blazers and give him the recognition to make the next step.

“I plan to enter the NFL Draft in the spring and the NFL scouts will know that I know that this opportunity is only a blessing,” Moore said. “I am willing to do anything no matter what so this blessing is not wasted. I know it doesn’t come around often for most people, so I will make the best out of it.”

Sharks Sink Lady Blazers Historic Season

The Nova Southeastern Lady Sharks upset the Valdosta State Lady Blazers in the Round of ...