Home / Opinions / Keep the kids in mind when reforming education

Keep the kids in mind when reforming education

Jade Thomas, 15, a junior at George Washington Carver School of Arts and Science, goes over study material before she takes the PSAT test on Wednesday, Oct. 14, 2015, in Sacramento. (Randy Pench/Sacramento Bee/TNS)

Written by Erin Martin, Staff Writer

In a new and digital age, it’s important that classrooms promote open discussions so that students can not only learn fundamental information, but learn to form healthy opinions and communication skills.

Considering my personal education and upbringing, I remember having a lot of questions that went unanswered; being inquisitive about the world and thirsty for knowledge. A lot of the time in school, I felt that I was learning information I would never need for my future career. It wasn’t until I got to college that I could focus on my personal interests.

There used to be more art and music programs for children in school so that boys and girls could learn how to interact with one another. A lot of arts and sports programs have been removed from schools while they focus on funding in other areas.

Students spend seven to eight hours in school, and when they finally get home, they spend more time completing homework assignments, projects, and studying. The EOCT, Gateway, PSAT, and ACT tests give students who aren’t yet adults stresses for perfection that they can’t always handle. I think that this leads to the college dropouts and students finding trouble after graduating high school.

Middle school and high school students in different parts of America also receive different levels of education. It’s known that in poor areas, city funding is low for better education and books, and consequentially, students suffer. There should almost be an outcry for not only stronger education, but teachers who are invested in the students’ futures.

Of course, when it comes to education, there will never be enough. Knowledge is power. The standards for children everywhere should continue to grow. However, after students graduate from high school, I think it is important to let them choose which path they should take instead of forcing college down their throats.

Education should change in a different direction; focusing less on the many formulas in trigonometry, but focusing more on how math in general could prepare them for success.

“Middle and high school was easy for me, but I know some of my friends struggled. I think it’s all in how you apply yourself and how serious you are about your education,” said Tierra Francois, senior mass communication major.

“Education has changed so much over the years; kids are learning things in third grade that we learned when we were in the sixth, said Brandon Wilkes, sophomore Biology major. “Society expects a lot out of kids and sometimes, it’s more than they are capable of or will push themselves to be.”

Editorial: VSU should begin spirit days as a tradition during homecoming week

Homecoming week is the most exciting time of year for college students. As we are ...