Home / Fall 2016 / Registration made easy

Registration made easy

Photo Illustration by Kayla Stroud/THE SPECTATOR

Written by Evelyn Dunn, Staff Writer

Many students are frustrated with their advisors messing up their class load, so individuals take matters into their own hands only to end up with the same results.

Registration has begun and students are trying to get the perfect class schedule. But in order to sign up for classes, students must meet with advisors first.

It is vital to meet with advisors because they’re the ones that will make a student account eligible for registration. If the flag does not get lifted, then a student can’t register for classes.

Advisors are there to help and offer suggestions to students for their upcoming registration dates. Their goal is to point individuals in the right direction so they can get their desired schedules.

Sometimes, mistakes happen and students are left with errors popping up when they try to register. Others realize that a class is too hard or the course load is too much and they have to drop something in the middle of the semester, which sets them back with classes.

Students in the past years have vented about how their advisors have no idea what they’re doing and don’t know what they want at all.

It’s up to the students to let advisors know what they are striving for and what they want to accomplish. This way they can offer the best advice for specific needs.

I’ve switched majors a couple times, so I’ve had my fair share of advising advice. One advisor wrote down the wrong class for my core. I noticed that my classes didn’t add up, but made the decision not to worry about it.

On registration day, I woke up at 7 a.m. and it said I had a prerequisite error when I tried to register. By the time I emailed my advisor and figured out the correct class to take, it was already full up.

So, it is not always one party’s fault, my advisor at the time made a mistake, and I made the mistake of not double checking when I had doubts.

Students should trust their advisors opinion, if anything, just taking it into consideration will help when picking the classes you want.

When I signed up for classes last year, many that my advisor picked overlapped with one another. So I decided to pick other classes in their places that I thought were easier to take.

I did not ask my advisor if this was wise, so when I did sign up for classes some of them came up as prerequisite errors. That’s when I learned if I want to take a different course than the ones suggested to me, I should double check with my advisor first.

Bottom line, students should be putting a little more faith in their advisors.

They have a lot more experience and generally know what they are doing. And if you have a preference or concern, they should be happy to help you figure out how to get that desired course load.

Don’t forget that advisors and advisee’s have a common goal. We want to make it to graduation, and our advisors want to help us get there.

Ask for help, ask all questions you may have and trust your advisor’s guidance.

Editorial: Racial slur controversy questions transparency of VSU administration

On Sept. 27, VSU communications professor Dr. Fred Earls stirred up controversy during one of ...