Home / Fall 2015 / Softball wins big off the field as ten players are awarded for their academic performances

Softball wins big off the field as ten players are awarded for their academic performances

Written by Aldean Starr, Staff Writer

The Valdosta State Softball team had an amazing season last year capped off with a record of 48-9 that landed them with a ranking of the #12 in the National Fastpitch Coaches Association Division II top 25 poll. The success of the Blazers softball team was not just on the field, the also excelled in the classroom.

Annually the National Fastpitch Coaches Association awards collegiate athlete that display great academic performance. The award is given to athletes that earns a grade point average of 3.5 or higher throughout the fall and spring. Last season, the Blazers softball team had 10 players who received an award for their academic performance: Outfielder Courtney Albritton, Pitcher Caitlyn Calhoun, Infielder Chelsea Canara, Pitcher Maci Fletcher, Catcher Kelly Gordon, Outfielder Halie Imler, Outfielder Fran Johnson, Outfielder Brandy Morgan, Infielder Samantha Smith and Infielder Bree Wells.

It is also clear the athletes really take pride in this award “It is a really prestigious award and it is something we worked really hard for,” sophomore catcher Kelly Gordon said.

Thomas Macera, Valdosta State Softball’s all-time winningest head coach also expressed how proud he was that the girls were able to excel on and off the field

“It goes to show their off the field ability is as good as their on the field ability, to know their performance is as good in the classroom as it is on the field is a testament to the team of how hard our girls work within the program,” Coach Macera stated.

With the season set to start in the spring, the Blazers look to continue with their success on the field and also in the classroom.

Lady Blazers Win Outright GSC Championship

The Lady Blazers are outright Gulf South Conference Women’s Basketball champions after their victory on ...