Home / Fall 2015 / Organization’s team to host powder puff football game

Organization’s team to host powder puff football game

Written by Gabe Burns, Staff Writer

Last night, Valdosta State’s Activity Board teamed with the Sigma lota Chapter of Alpha Phi Omega to organize a powder puff football game as a part of the Fall Explosion extravaganza.

The game was held on the intramural field by Centennial Hall. It was a defensive battle, ending with the Red Squad defeating the White Squad 7-0 in triple overtime.

The event was hosted to show students, especially freshmen, that there is a variety of organizations that one can join at VSU.

Quintin Reed, the Campus Activities Board Blazers on the Go Officer, stressed that students should select an organization based on what will have the best impact on their future.

“Here at VSU I believe in the key points of our creed: Civility, integrity, and leadership,” Reed said. “What is most important (about being in an organization) are the skills and lessons you learn. I believe that students should join or become affiliated with an organization that will enhance their futures.”

As for the game itself, the two teams were in complete control of how they prepared for the event. The students chose the coaches and organized practices on their own authority. The rosters were randomly assembled, featuring students from multiple organizations.

Both teams failed to generate much offense throughout the contest. Nonetheless, Kendrick Hodges, one of three head coaches for the Red Squad, was satisfied with the “upset” victory.

“Defense wins games,”  Hodges, a junior said. “Everything was against us but you see how we prevailed. They (the girls) said we were tired yesterday but today they got it done.”

The Campus Activity Board has an assortment of new events planned for the semester. They can be found on Snapchat, @CABVSU1, and on Instagram, @CABVSU.

Lady Blazers upsets Union, again

The no. 8 ranked Lady Blazers defeated the Lady Bulldogs 74-56 on Saturday afternoon for ...