Written by Kenzie Kesselring, Opinions Writer & Tresia Bowles, Staff Writer
Finding scholarships can be difficult enough, but the key is finding a scholarship that’s specifically for you. The way to do that is to not always apply to the scholarships that you would assume everyone else may already be applying for, but the overlooked ones as well. There’s pretty much a scholarship for everything. Don’t believe me? Here’s a list of 10 weird scholarships that will blow your mind.
- Duck Brand “Stuck at Prom” Scholarship – Ever thought about making a prom dress completely out of duct tape? Well your dream has come true. This scholarship from Henkal Corporations offers over $50,000 in scholarships to the people who can create the snazziest prom attire using only duct tape.
- American Fire Sprinkler Association Scholarship Program – I know there are some aspiring firefighters out there that may be interested in this. All you have to do is write an essay about sprinklers and fire safety, and you could score $2,000.
- National Potato Council Scholarship – This $10,000 scholarship is for the potato lovers. Anyone who is majoring in agriculture and wants to study potatoes can apply for this one.
- Whole Sale Halloween Costumes Scholarship – To snag a quick 500 bucks you can put together a creative Halloween costume, make a unique meme out of it, and use it to apply.
- Create-a-Greeting Card Scholarship- For a whopping $10,000 you can design a holiday, get well, or birthday card and try to win this contest.
- Tall Clubs Scholarships – Calling all basketball players and models; this is for you! If you’re a female above 5’10 or a male above 6’2, you are eligible for a scholarship simply for being tall. All you have to do is write an essay on your experiences for a chance at $1,000.
- Sophie Major Memorial Duck Calling Contest Scholarship – I’m surprised Duck Dynasty isn’t behind this one, but if you’ve got a heck of a duck call, you can apply for this $2,000 scholarship.
- Common Knowledge Challenges Scholarship – You know there are people who are book smart, but common sense is hard to come by. So forget essays or having a high IQ, if you know a lot about knowing a lot you could be awarded anywhere from $250 to $3,000.
- Society of Vacuum Coasters Foundation Scholarship – I didn’t even know vacuum coasters existed, but if you can make one, apply for this $2,500 scholarship and represent for the art of vacuum coating.
- Scholar Athlete Milk Mustache of the Year (SAMMY) Scholarship – I think just about everyone has dreamed of being on one of those milk mustache photos we used to see around grade school. If you are an athlete and you can model a milk mustache pretty well, if you win this one you get a $7,500 scholarship, a trip to Disney World, and your own milk mustache poster!
So while everyone else is applying for those simple, music essay scholarships or winning beauty pageants, you could be racking up on some of these weird scholarships instead.