Home / Campus Life / Zayn Malik gives his first interview, One Direction and Justin Bieber battle it out and Charlie Sheen has an announcement

Zayn Malik gives his first interview, One Direction and Justin Bieber battle it out and Charlie Sheen has an announcement

Written by Kayla Stroud, Web Editor

A pop culture fanatic’s shortlist of this week’s happenings.

Zayn Malik Gives His First Interview

Ex boy bander Zayn Malik gave his first in-depth interview since his sudden departure from One Direction. Malik is the cover boy for the December issue of Fader Magazine and in an extensive feature, he discussed his reasoning for up and calling it quits mid-tour back in March.

Malik said that he felt stifled in the pressure vacuum that is 1D. “There was never any room for me to experiment creatively in the band,” Malik said. […] “Whenever I would suggest something, it was like it didn’t fit us….There was just a general conception that the management already had of what they want for the band, and I just wasn’t convinced with what we were selling. I wasn’t 100 percent behind the music. It wasn’t me.”

A behind-the-scene clip also accompanied the interview. In the background, a sneak peek of a song “BeFour” from debut solo album could be heard playing in the background. “BeFour” though, Zayn? Really? (For those unaware, Four was the title of the 1D’s last album)

But my favorite stunt queen didn’t stop just there. No, the timing of this interview’s release is highly suspect considering the fact that his former band mates released their final album just this week. Stealing the spotlight, hum?

Great PR work, though!

One Direction/Bieber Battle it out

Before heading for an extended hiatus, the rest of the 1D boys (sans Zayn obviously) are battling out with Justin Bieber for the coveted top spot on the Billboard Top 200 this week. And unfortunately for them, it appears as though the Biebs may snatch their crown. According the Billboard, he is projected to rake in over 525,000 units in total sales to 1D’s 475,000.

Unlike 1D, Bieber has actually tried to get that top spot, by going out and actually putting in the work rather than relying on his obsessive fans to get it for him. After a week long stint on The Ellen Degeneres Show and loads of other ~interesting~ sales tactics, Bieber will seemingly his sixth #1 album. Then flip it to 1D who seemingly didn’t kick their promo tour in until the week of. But 1D is all but dead after they finish up their last few appearances, so I doubt they care.

Either way, cheers to Bieber.

Charlie Sheen Makes Big Announcement

Troubled star Charlie Sheen has come out and announced that he is HIV positive. He spoke with the TODAY Show Tuesday that he has known of his diagnosis for years. He said that he’s paid a few women off in hush money in order to keep it under wraps.

It has later come out that he slept with women knowing he had the disease, yet didn’t tell them. Several of his ex-girlfriends have come forward saying that they were completely blindsided by the news, one tweeting about taking a trip to get tested upon finding out.

Sheen says otherwise.

VSUPD Crime Blotter: Collisions and Collapses

Collision in Hopper Circle On Monday, March 25, at 9:49 a.m., Officer Kenny McDonald with ...