Home / Campus Life / Sharing food, culture and flavor around the world: VSU to hold 40th Annual International Dinner

Sharing food, culture and flavor around the world: VSU to hold 40th Annual International Dinner

The ELI Conversation Partner Program provides opportunities for students to become familiar with other students' cultures.

Written by Pam Agedah, Staff Writer

Valdosta State University is preparing for a night full of food and diversity.

VSU will be holding its 40th Annual International Dinner on April 23.

Daniella Bacud is an international student advisor and helps plan the international dinner. This is her third year being a part of the program.

“The SIS (Society of International Students) is a registered student organization that would like to help foster diversity to the VSU and Valdosta community,” said Bacud. The SIS hosts the International Dinner.

This year’s theme for the International Dinner is “Déjà Vu.” The organization chose that theme so it could continue with the theme of VSU’s Homecoming.

“There is a lot that goes into planning this event. Date and spaces need to be reserved; students choose what committee they would like to be on such as, cooking, entertainment. Publicity and fundraising, and decorations,” Bacud said.

During the international dinner, there are also performances from students with different cultural backgrounds. So auditions also have to be held for groups or individuals that would like to perform.

“The current exec board helps with the planning, and the other students help with executing the preparations,” Bacud said.

Students also have the opportunity to work with the Chartwells staff to make sure that food preparations for the dinner go well.

Students from the various countries sign up for the cooking committee and decide what dish they would like to prepare.

“Each year’s menu choices depends on the students’ choices,” said Bacud.

Some countries being represented at the International Dinner are Russia, Saudi Arabia, Morocco, Bahamas, Philippines, South Korea, and Germany.

During the International Dinner, a silent auction is held to help with the cost of hosting the event and for people to see items from other countries. International students bring in souvenirs from their home country to auction off.

“I hope that they will enjoy the global experience that they will get on this night, and celebrate how diverse our community is,” Bacud said.

The 40th Annual International Dinner is on Saturday, April 23 at 6 p.m. in the Student Union Ballrooms.

Counseling Center helps students with final exam stress

Final exams are approaching, which means this is when most students put in the slightest ...